Unable to understand the cost for a streaming filter on the UI

I ran a recording task for tweets for about 49mins, i.e. from Oct 4 23:11, to Oct 5, 00:00 where the DPU = 0.4. The number of interactions received was 3315. The actual amount that reduced was $0.55, i.e. from $9.32 to $8.77. As per my calculation, the total cost should have been

$0.12 (i.e. cost of 1 DPU/hr) + $0.33 (license cost of receiving 3315 tweets) = $0.45.

Why has the the credit amount reduced by $0.55 ? Is there a cost for recording ?

Thanks

One other question : If I schedule a recording which is to take place, say, 3 hrs from now, is this recording also charged ? If charged, then is it from the time of creation of task OR is it charged from the time of actual start of recording, which is 3 hrs away ?

Take a look at our Understanding Billing page - the minimum DPU charge for running a stream is rounded up to 1 DPU ($0.20 per hour). Anything more than 1 DPU is charged as you would expect, so a 1.4 DPU stream would be charged at $0.28 per hour. 

As well as the license cost for Tweets, you may have been charged license fees for some of the augmentations you have enabled. Check out your Data Sources page to see which augmentations you have enabled that have a license fee associated with them.

There is currently no additional cost associated with running a recording. The only type of query which has a different pricing model is when you are running Historics.

Recordings are only charged as they are running. You can schedule recordings to start hours or days in the future, and they will not cost a thing until they actually start running.

Thanks Jason,

Here’s a follow-up since I still don’t undertand why the cost is $1.17 with the following process :

1. Recorded a stream for exactly 1hr with DPU 0.4
    Cost of DPU : $0.20
    Number of tweets received : 8830
    License cost of tweets @$0.10/1000 tweets : $0.88
    Total cost : $1.08 while the actual charge is $1.17.

Can you help ?

Mahesh

The extra $0.09 can most likely be explained by additional augmentations that were enabled at the time, such as the Links augmentation, or Salience Sentiment. Some augmentations such as these two are commonly enabled, and are not free.

Jason,

1. In my profile’s data sources page, I see that both Links and Salience Sentiment are “Deactivated” and there’s a button that says “Activate” against each. That would mean, these haven’t been enabled. True ?
  2. From a pricing perspective, even if they had been enabled, it still doesn’t add up.
    I understand that the Links augmentation is a variable cost since it kicks in ONLY if there’s a link in the tweet, but the Salience Sentiment should kick in for every tweet at a cost of $0.05 per 1000 tweets. Given the number of tweets that was recorded ~ 8000, this should have costed $0.40 and hence the total cost would have become $1.08 + $0.4 = $1.48, but it was $1.17. Am I doing something fundamentally incorrect here ?

The best place to look at your usage is on your Usage Statistics page. It looks like you have been both live streaming, and recording. Live streaming can occur for two reasons:

1. If you use the Streaming API.
  2. If you use the live stream preview, license costs may occur bepending on your active data sources or augmentations.

Regarding your active data sources, you can turn most of them on and off in a single click. If a data source or augmentation is currently "Deactivated", it does not necessarily mean it has not been "Active" in the past. Only people with access to your account can change the status of your sources and augmentations - they will never change automatically without prior notice.

Ok Jason, let me do another test to ensure that these numbers add up, coz I am pretty sure that I wasn’t streaming when the recording was happening as well as the fact that twitter and facebook were the only data sources that where active when the recording was happening.

Ran a recording test and did some extensive analysis on the interactions received and recording metrics vs data shown on the Billing page, here’s what I have :

Credit available before start of recording : $7.60
Credit after recording complete : $6.30
Recording duration : Oct 11, 0900-1000
Number of interactions received : 10047
DPU cost : 0.4
License cost of number of interactions @0.10/1000 tweets : $1.0047
DPU cost/hr : $0.20
Total cost : 1.2047 ~ .1.20
But the actual cost seems to have been $7.60 - $6.30 = $1.30

Billing page, look at the activity for Oct 11 when the above was the only activity done, here’s what I see :

1. Connected/Recorded hours shows : 1.07 and this is the sum of two recording sessions, while the task I had scheduled was exactly from 0900-1000 on Oct 11. Any reason why this shows as two sessions on the graph ? Also, would this be considered as 60minutes, i.e 1 hr or 61 minutes and even if it is 61 minutes, the recorded hours should be 61/10 = 1.02 hrs.
  2. Data Volume : Again shows as two bars, one with data volume : 10017 and the other : 854, totaling : 10871. Any reason why this is different from Number of interactions received as shown in the Recorded Tasks : 10047
  3. Similarly DPU usage shows two bars totaling 1.09 (0.92 + 0.17), while I expected the DPU to be 0.4.
  4. The cost shows two bars totaling $1.30 (i.e. 0.21 of DPU cost + 1.09 of license cost)

Final questions based on my analysis above :

1. Why is the DPU cost $0.21 when its expected to be $0.20/hr
  2. When the number of interactions received is 10047, why is the Billing page showing data volume of 10871 ?

If we answer these two questions, then the cost difference, i.e. my expectation of $1.20, whereas the actual cost of $1.30 is also explained.

1. Although the recording did only run for 60 minutes, unfortunately our Billing Manager currently only runs every few minutes. This means you can often experience a few minutes at the beginning or end of running your stream or recording where you are not billed while your stream is running, or you are billed while your stream is not running. Improving the reliability and accuracy of this is something we are working on, but currently there should never be period longer than 5 minutes where this issue can occur.

2.  We are aware of an issue where the number of reported interactions in a recording may not always exactly match the number of results that are actually in the export. This is simply an error with the reporting.

3. As explained previously, the minimum DPU cost for running a stream for an hour is 1 DPU. The reason this is not exactly $0.20 is due to the answer in question 1). 

We are looking into exactly why this difference of ~800 reported interactions occurred.