Twitter rate limited breached

Can someone explain why when one of my users causes us to breach the twitter rate limit any call I make to push/get or push/stop simply returns :

“error”: “The rate limit for twitter has been exceeded.”

Also is there anyway to configure my streams so that when rate limits are exceed they simply stop rather than killing every other stream ?

The Twitter Rate Limit is a limit on your account, restricting the number of Tweets you can receive across all your filters to a maximum of 500,000 per 24 hour period. If you exceed this limit, your account will be rate limited for up to 24 hours.

If you would like to work within this limit, we do offer consulting services to help optimize and maximize your use of the DataSift platform. If you’d like, I’d be happy to help connect you with that team who can better understand your requirements. You may also be interested in taking a look at our CSDL Optimization Techniques blog post.

To increase your Twitter rate limit above 500,000 Tweets per 24 hour period, we require you submit the following details to our support helpdesk about your organization and product:

• Organization name:
  • Organization website:
  • Your name:
  • DataSift username that needs increased rate limit:
  • What your organization does:
  • What you intend to do with the Twitter data you receive:
  • Screenshots of the product (Optional, but strongly recommended):

Once you have returned this information we review it and then send it to Twitter for their approval. This can take on average 48-72 hours for a response. We cannot guarantee they will approve your request, and may have to come back to ask for more information. If you can provide us with as much detail as possible about your use case and also make a clear statement that you understand Twitter’s Terms of Service, and that you do not have an application displays any tweet contents in a public display or manner, that will help facilitate the process.

We are aware that having all your streams stop when you hit your twitter rate limit is not ideal; we are working to improve the user experience when you hit this limit.