DPU costs are calculated incorrectly for tagging?


#1

Hi,

I have tried to optimize our DPU usage for streams by messing around with tagging and advanced tagging. Now it seems clear to me that the DPU calculations work without reasonable logic. (Yep. I have been checking the “Understanding the Billing” details). Here is an example that bugs me: If I remove the tagging totally from the CSDL below, the costs will increase by 0.1 DPU. How is this possible? I want to know more this kind of tricks :wink:

CSDL**********
tag.subscription.id “company:productfamily” { interaction.content exists}
tag “Addons” { interaction.content substr “addon” }

return {
(
(interaction.content substr "productname"
OR interaction.content wild “model*, modelX submodel*”)
and language.tag == "en"
and language.confidence >= 50
)
or twitter.user.screen_name == "companyaccount"
or interaction.mentions == “companyaccount”
}

How DPU calculations really work and are the shown DPU counts the actual DPU counts you bill?

Thanks,

  • Juha

#2

Hi Juha,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Your understanding of billing is correct and it appears that you’ve uncovered a bug with namespace tagging. DPU calculations should work as detailed in Understanding Billing otherwise.

Regards,
Alex


#3

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please tell me if there is fix coming to the DPU calculations? It’s a bit hard to estimate stream dpu costs if it does not work. :slight_smile:


#4

Also, if you use namespace tagging how the basic tagging is billed? Now it seems that If you use namespace tagging, all the normal taggings are billed according to the highest costs (advanced tagging). This is very confusing.


#5

Hi Juha,

Apologies for the billing confusion.
Your observation on the billing of the combination of advanced and normal tags seems to be correct: normal tags in this situation are billed as advanced tags.
These are issues that we are treating seriously, and are currently being worked on with a high priority.

Regards,
Alex


#6

Hi Juha,

As an update to your second point, I have gotten a response from engineering.

The price applied to a filter is global to the filter and doesn’t depend on the type of tag. As soon as a namespaces tag is used, the whole filter (and sub-filters) are charged at the Vedo (advanced tagging) price.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Regards,
Alex


#7

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply!
Please let us know when you have fixed the issue with the calculations presented in the first post.

Also, it would be really great if you could update the billing infos to more detailed level (because you have pretty complex pricing system the infos should also be detailed). When calculations do not work as they are explained it raises more questions about which of the calculations or the billing details are correct and which are not.

Best,

  • Juha

#8

Hi again,

I don’t know if this is related to the original topic issue… but in some cases namespace tagging drops heavily the DPU costs. for example CSDL below is 0.4 DPU with normal tagging, but if you change tag to namespace tag the stream cost seems to be 0.2 DPU.

CSDL**********

tag “keyword” {language.tag == “en”}

return {
(
interaction.content contains “keyword”
)
OR interaction.author.username == "account1, account2"
OR twitter.mentions == "account1, account2"
OR twitter.retweeted.user.screen_name == “account1, account2”
}


#9

Thanks again, Juha.

We are aware of the cost discrepancy, and are still working on a fix.